Thursday, September 16, 2010

An honest business man in Italy

Most people think it's an oxymoron. But I am happy to report that today I paid a bill for the guy who came over to my place last week to fix things, and it was way less than I thought it was going to be.

He couldn't do anything with my antiquated hot water heater (Yay! Cold showers! Every day! Since June! Yay!) but he fixed three broken electrical sockets and made the fourth burner on my stove work. And he brought me a freezer. That the agency lady (whom everyone warned me was pazzo) gave me for nothin! (And the freezer works. I have ice cubes! The wonder of it!)

I took out a giant wad of money today from the bancomat, and he only wanted €50. I was so happy it wasn't 300 that I was actually grinning when I slapped it down. I took myself out for Chinese for lunch to celebrate.

What no one tells you when you are becoming infatuated with Italy on holidays, is that the actual work of living here more or less cancels out the fun most of the time.

But one thing it does is teach you to lower your standards, so that actually getting a guy to come over to your house and fix an electrical socket, and only charge you fifty bucks, is cause for celebration.

It's the little things...

I'm starting to think that Santa Marinella is outside the Rip Everybody Off Zone. The bike shop guy has been amazingly great too.



~

No comments: