Monday, September 13, 2010

Art Lover's Paradise


I've been told that Italy is really deeply in the grip of the horrible movements of modern art, and I've certainly seen some truly gag-inducing stuff in the Vatican, but really if you're interested in art, you can't not look at Italy. This statue is in the atrium of the mansion of Gabriele D'Annunzio in Gardone Riviera.


On the Rialto, Venice.


In the church of San Zacchariah, Venice.


This woman was sitting at her easel painting in her studio in Venice. I just thought it looked like a lovely sort of life.


In the courtyard of the Villa D'Este in Tivoli.


Statue of St. Matthew in the Church of the Holy Trinity of the Pilgrims, Rome.


On St. Mark's, Venice.


It all makes you want to have a go yourself.



~

1 comment:

Fr. John Mary, ISJ said...

Thanks for the "feast" for the eyes and the soul...
I'd love to be that woman painting...
my pilgrimage in Italy was all too fast and frenetic; wish I could have stayed in some of the places in Rome, Milan, Florence and Lake Maggiore, just "soaking in" the beauty and majesty.