Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Russians are coming!


Mr. Warner tells us that we had better pack up the anti-Americanism sooner rather than later. It might look a little better if we have put it all away when we go across the Atlantic again begging them for help.

I have to admit that I have not given the Georgian thing much attention, but I do recall once, quite a little while ago now, meeting a friend for tea in Halifax. I had arrived a bit early and was reading the paper, on the front page of which was a full colour photo of Vladimir Putin, smiling his reptilian smile, whilst sharing a seat in the royal Landau with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth.

My friend arrived, and commented, "Never thought you'd see the day huh?"

Indeed not. And I believe I speculated that the day would soon end...in tears.

2 comments:

DP said...

In the immortal words of the late, great Douglas Adams, Don't Panic.

Putinist Russia is a thugocracy with nukes, to be sure, but it is enjoying the steroid high of now-falling oil prices to prop itself up. While not quite a paper bear, it is also not a universal menace like the old USSR. Note that it is rampaging in the Caucasus, not the Fulda Gap. A grubby feud in the hills is a good description, at least so far.

Anonymous said...

"reptilian smile"...

Perfect description!