Thursday, August 21, 2008

Apparently, we need to revisit The Rules

Rule one: "God-like powers"
I'm the boss.

That means I'm the absolute ruler. The person with my finger over the Smite button. It also means that I apply the rules with a capricious and whimsical arbitrariness according to my mood, the weather or how many cups of tea I've had.

No rules apply, either democratic or otherwise, to my blog other than my own. This is not a democracy. Those who complain are encouraged to be men and not whiney crybabies. If you keep a civil tone, own manfully up to your statements and say intelligent things related to the posts, the odds are about even that you will not incur my Smite button.

If I'm in a mood or it is raining, or I've received my BT bill that day, or I'm having a row with someone, or if it is a full moon Tuesday in a leap year, I will not ask politely; I will merely push the Smite button and enjoy watching you gurgle down the drain.

If I'm in a particularly nasty mood, which I frequently am, I will apply my time-tested three-fold punishment for Those Who Annoy: Public ridicule and mockery; scorn and humiliation; Smite.

There is no appeal process.

Rule two: "Nasty"
Anyone posting Nasty under an obviously assumed name or anonymously has no reason to expect not to be deleted; we don't do nasty here. Cowards hide behind false names or no name. We don't do cowardice here either.

The only person at this site who is allowed to be unpleasant is me. (cf. Rule One, above)

Rule three: "Trolls"
People making unpleasant comments or using an incivil tone will not be asked to leave; they will be deleted without comment.

I do not feed trolls.

And a "troll" is defined, according to my own entirely arbitrary criteria, as anyone I don't like or whose tone offends me personally.

Remember Rule one: my blog is my universe.

Rule four: "Pseudonyms"
Posters have to use a real or plausible-sounding name. We use real names here. The kind used on driving(ers) licenses and birth certificates. We do not use pseudonyms or monikers. If you sign in as "Sage Mossyrock", (and no, I don't care, actually, how many years you have been using it on the 'net) you will be asked to show proof that this is indeed the name your mother gave you. If you cannot provide convincing proof, and if I'm feeling particularly magnanimous, you will be asked politely but firmly to change it to something less obviously made up or to leave.

If you cannot resist the temptation to hide your identity, you may call yourself something like "Ian" or "George" or "Janet" or "Mary". This will serve to keep your Big Important Identity a state secret whilst avoiding the tiresome implication that you and your insufferable ego have a Big Important Identity to keep secret.

If you really are a Person of Consequence who would be sacked or kicked out of the seminary for posting a comment here, you may email me and convince me that your case merits an exception and I will assign you an acceptable pseudonym from my long and growing list of obscure early Anglo-Saxon saints. Being named Aethelfridwich will be a suitably humbling experience for the person so afflicted and a salutary warning pour encourager les autres.

It is to be remembered that one of the great criticisms of the internet and its residents is that we do not know the difference between reality and our own egos.

These policies are in place to help our readers maintain a healthy perspective and have stood me very well in five years of blogging.

That is all. There is no Rule five.


(If you're Billy HW, you may post anything you like, all the time. You've earned it.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Rule four: "Pseudonyms"

And so Binky had to sign off one of his fave blogs, with a sniffle.

Pseudonymous WebElf, Online since 1994, and who actually met the harsh mistress of this blog once.

With Google, lots of actual people are facing real-world problems from their blogs or comments on blogs they made in the past.

Binks

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

Oh don't be silly.

I know who you are. I don't care if anyone else does.

BillyHW said...

I'm Henery the Eighth, I am!
Henery the Eighth I am! I am!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, super job, White, you made Binky cry, you big meanie-pants poo-poo head.

Radial symmetry is NOT bad, by the way. All the cool kids think so and Paul VI too.

Anonymous said...

Crap. My link didn't work. Blogger is a freemasonic plot.

Dad29 said...

Good to know that autocratism is alive and well across the pond!

Anonymous said...

the rules must be awful far away.Hillary's been gone revisiting them for nearly 48 hours

Anonymous said...

Formerly one might not cite certain Russian authors.

But this no longer applies. Is HJMW softening? Has the gentle English countryside started having its wonted effect?

DP said...

So long as I can still use my imperial avatar, I'm copacetic.

Anonymous said...

Don't be fooled by my friendly exterior: all rules are ruthlessly and very unevenly enforced.

Dad29, you are "George"

Downwithshatner, you are "Kolof"

Please remember these.

Dostoyevsky is not our friend, but friends of his are endured for charity's sake.

Just spent three and a half days in south Wales on the beach and am feeling very magnanimous.