Sunday, August 17, 2008

What the...?



It says "A non-Newtonian fluid that changes from a liquid state to a solid state when stress is applied (ie shaking of the metal sheet with sound waves)."

OK, first,

"a non Newtonian fluid?

What the?...

and if anything started behaving like this when I started singing to it,

I'd run for it.

Man, science is ....

weird.

Like, Star Trek weird.

(Actually, I think the contents of the milk jug looked a bit like this the last time I went to bed without putting it in the fridge. I'll try to get a video when it starts crawling out of the jug and demanding to see a lawyer.)



H/T to Ann. (I miss you).

5 comments:

Mark S. Abeln said...

Newton was quite modern as he was a heretic studying for the (invalid Anglican) priesthood, and secretly studied the occult by night while doing respectable natural science by day.

His religious ideas, troubling as they are, were embraced by many Protestants as a modern defense against atheism and scepticism. But his false ideas ultimately led to the millenarian movement.

Mark S. Abeln said...

Oh yeah, non-Newtonian fluids are cool. I remember someone once making a ball out of the stuff - it bounced off the floor before settling into a gooey mess.

Anonymous said...

HJMW:

Bink-spawn #2 did this for his skool science project: a little green food-colouring, and ya gots Oobleck!

You can even run across it and jump on it. It's essentially quicksand: when you put pressure on it, it acts like a solid; no pressure, it goes liquid. I think they're making hockey-armour out of it.

Easy to make, though a bit messy-- just google it, and check youtube.

Binks

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

It's when it starts looking like a bunch of humans writhing in purgatory that it creeps me out.

Jeffrey Pinyan said...

"It's when it starts looking like a bunch of humans writhing in purgatory that it creeps me out."

I had the exact same impression.