Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Got new doohickey

and loads of pics that I don't have time right now to post. But there's some good stuff coming. Castles. Monasteries. Ruins. English flora and fauna. Giant mushrooms. Miniature horses. Wonders and prodigies.

Later.

Meanwhile, I went to the Curry's in Chester today (a shop in which, to my great disappointment when I first arrived, one cannot buy any curry at all), and the guy there was only too happy to show me their full range of gadgets that allow one to go "fully mobile". They've got this thing where you plug the thing into the back of your blackberry and it makes a "virtual keyboard" as a hologram sort of thing that you can actually type on... just like in the movies! And there are teeny weeny laptops that weigh next to nothing that fit into your handbag. And they've got this thing where you plug a thing like a USB stick into the computer and it picks up an internet signal like a mobile phone...

Hoo! I am beginning to like the modern world. Imagine me with a holographic keyboard! Neat!

I will likely need to go mobilissimus soon since, it might as well be announced officially, I'm working on making a semi-permanent/indefinite move to Rome. Probably some time later this winter.

Hooo Boy! Rome!

Life, as Ferris Beueller was wont to say, moves pretty fast.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Lucky!

Matt said...

I hope you'll continue the blog in the Eternal City. Having disovered your blog through 'Fulham Reactionary' I've grown fond of your disparate musings on this that and the other, many of which strike a profound chord.
I lived in Rome for four years, working in the Holy See, and despite returning to the South West my wife and I are seldom not trying to get back one way or another.
Tenby is a very pleasant, authentic place too - and as I recall there's a very good German butcher in the market who can cut a really good steak...

In my view what matters most with any place is authenticity - a sense of uniqueness born of tradition and an awareness of history. Too many places in our once rather beautiful island have been blighted by the wrong kind of commerce. Italy is also a commercial nation but it's more successfully resisted globalisation - somehow the interests of capital don;t always have to trump the interests of community and the human scale there. In bocca al lupo!

Dad29 said...

Ah, yes. We have a daughter in Rome--until mid-December.