Friday, February 22, 2008

"From now on, I want you all to call me Loretta"

I'm working on (thinking about) a post on the concept of "biological determinism" that is a pet peeve of the alternatively gendered.

The new county law states, "Gender identity means an individual's actual or perceived gender including a person's gender-related appearance, expression, image, identity or behavior, whether or not those gender-related characteristics differ from the characteristics customarily associated with the person's assigned sex at birth."


I once had the opportunity to interview a woman who did a lot of work on life n' family issues at the UN. She told me about "gender".

It's not just for French class any more.

It proves the adage that there is a Monty Python routine for absolutely everything


Look boys. It's very simple.

That

does not go

there
.

Even if it "fits".

It would fit down a vacuum cleaner hose too, but neither apparatus is designed for that purpose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is just the most brilliant clip.
"But you can’t have babies" – "Don’t you oppress me!"
"Suppose we agree that he can’t actually HAVE babies … but that he can have the RIGHT to have babies."
"It’s symbolic of our struggle against oppression" – "It's symbolic of his struggle against reality".

Who would believe that was written all but 30 years ago? It's as fresh, and relevant, and pointed, as the day it was released.

Except it would never get released now – it would be adjudged offensive to the "transgendered community" (whatever the hell that phrase is supposed to mean) and the producers would be left in no doubt that that bit belonged on the cutting-room floor.

Steve said...

Vacuum cleaner hose? I'm sure there's an internet group...

And BTW, I have a new commute now, and at stop where I switch from above-ground-train-with-locomotive to subway/metro, there's a decidedly unfeminine looking trans-genderish thing that gets on my car now and then. Almost as tall as me (and I'm usually the tallest guy on the car). It's like (s)he's halfway through the transition.

Nightmarish.