Thursday, April 10, 2008

Novus Ordo Tea

I once gave Steve detailed instructions on how to make a decent cup of tea. It has been a sideline, a hobby, of mine for many years to try to teach Americans what tea is supposed to be like.

Steve was a very appreciative student, but he is, alas, a coffee person to the marrow.

Liturgy is the same way - sloppy liturgy has to be overwhelmed with filler and sweetener to try to get people to put up with it. Good liturgy doesn’t need those things - it’s rich, complex, robust, and subtle, all at the same time.

Anecdotally, I once overheard Fr. William Rutler, as he was preparing to give a talk, making comments on the selection of teas at the refreshment table. A large selection of decaffeinated teas was keeping him from finding what he was looking for, and he exclaimed, “These are all novus ordo teas…I want the Tridentine tea.”

3 comments:

Raindear said...

To whom do you turn for a good cup of the steaming brew? I am an ignorant American, but I enjoy Harney and Sons tremendously.

Steve said...

Nobody has noticed yet that it's Fr. GEORGE William Rutler, not simply Fr. William.

I'm a numbskull. Probably because I've been cutting back on caffeine...

Raindear said...

Addressed to the Great Void...How many comments does it take to elicit a response from Hilary?