Thursday, April 17, 2008

Art for Art's Sake

"I believe strongly that art should be a medium for politics and ideologies, not just a commodity," Shvarts told the Daily Yale. "I think that I'm creating a project that lives up to the standard of what art is supposed to be."

Shvarts told the paper that her project documents a nine-month process during which she artificially inseminated herself "as often as possible" while periodically taking abortifacient drugs.

"Her exhibition will feature video recordings of these forced miscarriages as well as preserved collections of the blood from the process," reveals the paper. "The goal in creating the art exhibition, Shvarts said, was to spark conversation and debate on the relationship between art and the human body."


Imagine Shvarts at a talent show:

"So, Ms. Shvarts, what are you going to do for us today?"

1 comment:

M. Alexander said...

Just hear that it's all a hoax.

If only I believed it.

Yale is backpedaling but not fast enough for my taste.

I think they need a new slogan, "Genocide: it's a beautiful thing."

What do you think?
Mary