Monday, January 21, 2008

Just missed a call from a friend in Rome

And learned yet another one of those little things that I didn't know I didn't know about life in Britain.
"If I knew how to work the UK phone system better, I'd have called you back myself.

But I don't know how you do that thing with the phone to get the thingy to tell you the last number called. In Canada you punch in *69. Don't know even how to get directory assistance here.

I knew that learning how to operate a new country would be difficult in a million billion little tiny irritating ways that I could not possibly have anticipated."

1 comment:

Mulier Fortis said...

Last number dialled: punch in 1471

Oh, and if you want to withhold your number when phoning, dial 141 first.

Operator assistance is 100

Directory enquiries has been privatised: 118 118, 118 247 (Yellow Pages) and 118 100 (BT) are all available.