Thursday, November 10, 2011

Little Belgian kid takes the salute


Tomorrow, I'm probably going to be busy. I'm supposed to be at a stem cell conference at the Vatican most of the day, so I'll probably either be on a train or interviewing someone or recording talks and taking notes and being all worky, and will likely let the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month slip past. I'll be wearing my poppy, and there are nearly always chapels available at these Vatican things.

I hope I remember to do a minute of silence, but if I don't, say a prayer with me tonight while we're both thinking about it and not in the middle of a busy day.


For peace, for an end to war, for the safety of American, British and Commonwealth soldiers in the Scary Zones of the world, for the defeat of evil men and ideologies, for the spread of the Gospel to Godless lands, for an end to persecution of Christians in Islamic countries, for the conversion of friends and family to and within the true Faith, for the coming of the Social Reign of Christ the King over the whole world without which no peace will ever be lasting.

I pray for the repose of the souls of my great grandfather, William Doloughan and my grandfathers Herbert Edward Burkett and Norman White who all served in both the First and Second World Wars.

Dear Lord, have mercy on us. Give us a bit more time.

Amen.



~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! Thank you. One of my coworkers just told me that at his child's school, instead of the usual Remembrance Day service, they will instead show a documentary on African child soldiers at the assembly. This is sad beyond words.

Ingemar said...

O God of spirits and of all flesh, You have trampled down death and have abolished the power of the devil, giving life to Your world. Give rest to the soul of Your departed servants William, Herbert, and Norman in a place of light, in a place of repose, in a place of refreshment, where there is no pain, sorrow, and suffering. As a good and loving God, forgive every sin they have committed in thought, word or deed, for there is no one who lives and is sinless. You alone are without sin. Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and Your word is truth.

For You are the resurrection, the life and the repose of Your departed servants, Christ our God, and to You we give glory, with Your eternal Father and Your all-holy, good and life‑giving Spirit, now and forever and to the ages of ages.

Teresa B. said...

Beautiful Post! I am going to copy part of what you said and post on my FB page.
A friend of ours is a Catholic Priest and a Chaplain with the Cdn. Forces. He has made two tours of Afghanistan. He is back on Cdn. soil. What a ministry he has.
My husband's father used to tell me stories of surviving the war as a child in northern Italy. Many terrifying stories of hiding from the Germans. I would not have my husband if his father had not survived!His father remembered the joy of the allies walking through their town.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Hilary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qv5GeQZY9E