Friday, November 04, 2011

And now, back to what's really important

Clothes.

We just started watching Downton Abbey tonight, with episode one. All sorts of interesting characters and plot and whatnot, all very engaging, but of course, the thing I was going nuts over were the clothes. The 1912-1920 period is my all-time number-one top-favourite for women's clothes (for men, it's easily 1802-1820 ... can't resist a tall white collar, crisp cravat and black cutaway).

A few months ago, I splurged on a lovely bit of 60 inch wide robin's egg blue blouse weight linen and have been planning on using it to make a blouse along the lines pictured above. I saw Elizabeth McGovern wearing something like it in the 2007 ITV version of Room with a View.

This blouse was a very common pattern for the time. Variations include raglan sleeves, long shawl collars and a square neckline. Must have it.

Must also have this brown coat with the velvet revers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hilary,

Here's the real thing, close up: http://www.shorpy.com/

If you've never seen it before, the site is the closest thing to a time machine you'll ever find. I've lost hours of my life in it.