Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Dear well-meaning people out there in internet land:

if you, your sister, your mother or any other person you know have had a hysterectomy or any related surgery, please don't tell me about it. It may seem awful, but I really don't want to know. Please don't tell me how horrible it was, how painful it was. Please don't tell me how long it took to recover or the huge dramatic life changes that came as a result. Please don't tell me you know how I'm feeling. It mostly just makes me freak out more.

And please, unless you actually know me in real life, not just in your imagination from having read my blog or articles, please, PLEASE don't offer to come to my house to help me through it. This includes people I've communicated with exclusively through email. If you think you know me because I've responded to a couple of emails, I need you to understand that we are not fast friends. I know you mean to be helpful, but it really just comes across as weird and slightly creepy. (If you think this is aimed at you alone, you're wrong. I've received several such offers.)

Sorry, but the list of people I want this kind of help from is extremely short. It might seem from the blog that I'm really all peachycheery but this is not the case.

OK?

I know you mean well, but your sharing is really not having a very good result.

So, just hold back, OK?



~

8 comments:

Niall Mor said...

So howsabout if I just offer to pray for you. Will that work?

Anonymous said...

And I had that plane stuffed full of smurf dolls, Shirley Temple movies, and bunny slippers all ready to lift off.

Now, what do I do?

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

Niall: ok.

Ingemar said...

Dearest Hilary,

I had the most harrowing experience three years ago. I was diagnosed with a chronic joke disorder so I had to have my sense of humour surgically removed. The surgeons told me it would only mitigate my condition, not cure it.

Ingemar

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

You're weird Ingemar,

it's why I let you hang around.

Anonymous said...

If you don't want total strangers offering to nurse you through a serious and potentially fatal illness, don't live in a popular tourist destination, DUH. - Karen

ps still want hats

Ingemar said...

On another topic, I was on a train that took me past Santa Marinella this Saturday. I was looking for a bald woman with cats and paints but couldn't find one. Oh well. Went to Mass the next day at Santa Maria Maggiore and had the misfortune of seeing Cardinal Law.

Maureen said...

I will say a prayer and light a candle. I will ask my Aunt to pray, too.