Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Book Bleg

There's a book I used to own but left behind in Canada. It's out of print but I really want to have and read it again. My copy was a gift from John Muggeridge, but I don't think I ever quite finished it the first time.

Memoirs of Josef Mindszenty

If anyone has a spare copy of this lying around at the bottom of a bookshelf, I'd be very grateful for a donation.

~

I actually meet quite a few people here who have no time for Communism or its sissy younger sibling Liberalism. Most of them are from places like Romania, Estonia, Latvia, Slovakia...

I feel the need to re-charge my anti-communist batteries, and there is nothing that does that more effectively, or makes my blood boil more against Novusordoism's fellow-traveller status, than the Mindszenty story.

Reason 963, 427 to say that Paul VI was the worst pope in modern history:
Eventually, Pope Paul VI offered a compromise: declaring Mindszenty a "victim of history" (instead of communism) and annulling the excommunication imposed on his political opponents [They tortured him. They fracking tortured him, you pathetic, limp-wristed traitorous...ghah!]

...In December 1973, at the age of 82, Mindszenty was stripped of his titles by the Pope, who declared the Hungarian cardinal's seat officially vacated, but refused to fill the seat while Mindszenty was still alive.

...In early 1976, the Pope made Bishop László Lékai the primate of Hungary, ending a long struggle with the communist government. Lékai turned out to be quite cordial towards the Kádár government.


Really?! You don't say...


~

Update:

Ok, I've just taken the advice of ... someone...possibly Zach...and started an Amazon Wish List. I've received many kind offers from loyal readers who want to send me books. (In fact, some have even wanted to send me money!), so if y'all want to know what I really REALLY want for Christmas, here you go. It's also been posted on the sidebar.


~

Update to the Update:

There doesn't seem to be any place where one can put a mailing address in the Amazon Wish List thingy. I think the idea is that you are supposed to email me and make the arrangement on the quiet. This is probably a security thing, I would guess. In case someone wants to send you an Anthrax Ripple.


~

4 comments:

PiusLad said...

"In December 1973, at the age of 82, Mindszenty was stripped of his titles by the Pope, who declared the Hungarian cardinal's seat officially vacated, but refused to fill the seat while Mindszenty was still alive."

Awfully white of him...

Fr. T. said...

We have a group of Norbertine seminarians moving into 1360 and we found several boxes of books in the basement that belonged to you know who as we were preparing the house for them. They were well and delightfully picked over by our seminarians and the rest were put out on King St. where they were picked over by the oddest assortment of Parkdalians, until not a single one was left. I can't imagine what the people of Parkdale are now thinking, nor can the long term consequences of this bonanza be calculated. In case your thinking of missing Parkdale, I should tell you that I saw the Boa Constrictor today as I stepped over three drunks on my way to the liquor store, or the lcbo as we like to say.

Anonymous said...

I have the book, and I'd be happy to lend it to you. Let me know how to proceed if you wish.

Brian Crane
brian.crane@cranemills.com

Tom Ryan said...

A hungarian trad told me that Mindszenty was "totally novus ordo"

Hmm