Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Gatsby


I first detected the existence of Leonardo di Caprio in a little film called What's Eating Gilbert Grape, starring Johnny Depp. LdC played Gilbert Grape's autistic kid brother who required constant care. So convincing was his performance that people, since no one had ever heard of the kid, thought the movie makers had hired a real autistic kid to play the role.

People are now saying that LdC is "turning into" a decent actor, but I remember when he suddenly turned into that annoying pretty-boy and recall being disappointed that Hollywood had ruined another good character actor by turning him into a "star". Glad to see he's back.



~

5 comments:

Teresa B. said...

I don't know if I want to watch it.
I rather enjoyed Mia Farrow and Robert Redford's version.

Anonymous said...

If it wasn't for the mist I could see your home across the bay, Hilary... You always have a green light that burns all night at the end of your dock.

-Rico S.

Gerald said...

I'd say he's been back since he made a surprisingly good Howard Hughes in 2004's "The Aviator". Martin Scorsese has been very good for him. I can't think of a misfire since, though last year's J. Edgar Hoover biopic came close.

Gregory said...

You must see Inception if you haven't already.

Flambeaux said...

I, too, first discovered LdC in Gilbert Grape. I, too, had the same reaction when he became a Star du Jour.

I haven't seen many movies, including his, in the last few years. But I am glad to see him taking on characters that are outside the normal run for CelebHeartthrob.