Thursday, June 10, 2010

Just for laffs

So, did everyone else already know that the "Bueller-Bueller" guy in Ferris Bueller's Day Off was actually an important American conservative political writer?

He was a speechwriter for Nixon and Ford (those are US presidents of the 60s and 70s, for the too-young-to-remember-Star-Wars crowd). Was as an adjunct professor on the political and social content of mass culture at American University in Washington. Writes for the American Spectator, Newsmax, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times and the New York Magazine.

Then he became an actor, comedian, and game show host (?!).

"I've said to my wife repeatedly, I just want on my gravestone, 'He loved dogs' and 'Bueller, Bueller.'” - Ben Stein


Apparently, this speech was ad-libbed from his own economics lectures.

Turns out real life is weirder than fiction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I love the "stunned mullet" expressions on the kids' faces!

I must say, that's how I feel when I hear economists blathering on the radio.