Friday, January 29, 2010

The Worst Person in the World


but the Catholics in Lazio seem to just luuuuuuuurrve her.

"il Foglio" had done something else. It had sent one of its top journalists, Marianna Rizzini, to explore the dioceses of the Lazio region in order to hear what its priests and faithful think about the Bonino candidacy.

The response of the first diocese surveyed, Viterbo, was unrelenting. The title: "Grassroots Church with Emma. Survey in Viterbo. Catholic opinion firmly, sometimes fervently, in favor of the pro-abortion, pro-divorce, pro-euthanasia candidate, who has called the embryo 'an inert lump'. Objections rare, and timid."

In effect, in Marianna Rizzini's report from Viterbo, the only ones who opposed Bonino were the "missionaries" of the Movement for Life, who dedicate their lives to seeing that children are born, not aborted.


So, NewChurch, how's that whole "New Springtime" thing workin' out for ye?

9 comments:

Matthew said...

Hi Hilary,

Just tried emailing again, but didn't work. Anyways, I was just wondering, seeing as how your in Rome, what you've heard about the Pontifical Universities in that city, particularly the Angelicum. I have thought about studying there before, but I have a deep-seeded fear that they're just novusordoistic black holes from which there is no escaping. Anyways, if you've heard anything about them, would you be willing to let me know?

Cheers
Matthew

Anonymous said...

Matthew,

I am not Hilary, but Mary Ann, so I don't know that you really want my opinion. However, I study philosophy at the Angelicum, and am happy to do so, and would recommend it. They are rather proud of JPII who got his doctorate there. The philosophy department is very good, from what I've seen, with an occasional exception. I cannot say much for the theology department, though, as I have only taken a couple of classes there, which have been very good. The department which I really don't like at the Angelicum is the Social Science division--there you would surely be sucked into novus-ordoism at perhaps its worse.

Hope this helps (even if unsolicited)

-mary ann

Felix said...

Hi Matthew

Fr. John Zuhlsdorf lives in Rome and might be able to advise (but, as he points out, he gets lots of emails)

his email: frz@wdtprs.com

his blog:
http://wdtprs.com/blog/

Matthew said...

Mary Ann thank you, that's just the insight I was looking for.

Appreciate it.

Dan Auer said...

While neo-Cath Shea-types are a distinctly American phenomenon, even in Europe you'll ocassionally encounter the New Springtime-TOB-JP2 we luv you kinda instructors. Caveat emptor

HJW said...

Matt ,

Probably a good idea before you attempt to gain admission to any university would be to discover the difference between 'your' and 'you're'.

h

HJW said...

...and I believe the expression is usually given as "deep-seated".

English is hard, I know.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the pontifical universities (at least the Angelicum) be particularly picky about English. Hence, I just had a final with the "examinator" at the philosophy dean's office.

-mary ann

Matthew said...

Ah, yes. May I claim late night posting as an excuse? If not, a crappy keyboard?

Thanks to the posters for they're insights (yes, that was done on purpose).