Thursday, January 21, 2010

Crazy-busy

In Washington. Buying all sorts of wonderful American things at the wonderful shiny American shops. Got a bucket of Tang, a jug of ibuprophen, eight boxes of Kraft Dinner and four packets of iron-on interfacing (it's a sewing thing I can't find in Italy...it's for repairing vestments...oh never mind).

Also, got my hair cut. Loyal readers will recall the near-panic I was in a few months ago when faced with the necessity of getting my hair done in an Italian hairdresser's where no one spoke English. Well, isn't it nice to be able to communicate enough to say, "Please please, don't make me look Italian".

In fact, that has been the best part. People asked me when I got here what I wanted to do, and I said, "I want to be understood by everyone I talk to, and I want to understand everything everyone else says."

It's been great.

Mmmmmm...linguistic comprehension.

I love America.

We did get to the National Gallery and I got LOTS of pics. But I'm too tired right now to put them up. There may be some time tomorrow...

but honestly, probably not.

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilary,

I'll be at the march tomorrow. I'll be there with my wife, sons, and FSSP parish.

If you're not worried at the prospect of meeting Yankee OP fans, look for a deep blue banner bearing the Madonna and Child reading "Mater Dei Latin Mass Community, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania."

I'd be delighted to say hello.

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

If I run into you in the expected crowd of over 300,000, I'll be unrecognisable since all I am online is typing.

But hey, if I spot you, I'll be sure to say hello.

Anonymous said...

Hilary, I didn't know you spoke American. I suppose everyone needs to know some kind of vernacular.