Sunday, May 06, 2012

Primal cookies!

What can you do with a day that is so un-Italian, so wet, so cold, so windy, so damn Yorkshire-like that all you want to do is lie around watching Game of Thrones? Bake cookies!

Take

1.5 cups almond and hazelnut flour
1.5 tablespoons local, unpasteurized honey,
.5 teaspoon nutmeg
mix one egg and 3 tsbs milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsbs rice flour
1 oz sweet butter
1tsp salt

Mix all ingredients thoroughly, adding about half the egg and milk mixture. Spoon onto a greased cookie sheet, bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

Eat.

Guilt-free, wheat-free, nutty cookies to have with your tea.

Oh yes! I'm the Queen of Pastry!

(NB: all amounts above are vague estimates. What I really did was pour a bunch of stuff into a coffee bowl, making it up as I went along by taste. So, you know, copy with caution.)



~

3 comments:

Teresa B. said...

I have never heard of almond and hazelnut flour.
Also, what is sweet butter?
I am a basic chocolate or white cake sort of baker.
I'll have to check the Bulk Barn for these items or maybe the health food store.
We do have a few honey farms just outside of town.

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

nut flours are also called nut meals, and are usually a health-food-store kind of thing. But I found a bunch of packages of them in the local supermarket in the baking section.

Sweet butter is just unsalted, which is most of the butter in Italy. Italians use butter mainly for cooking and don't spread it on their bread, so it's quite difficult to find it with salt.

Just another one of the million and six little things that can drive ex-pats barking mad about living here.

Teresa B. said...

The no butter on the bread thing drives me crazy when I would eat with my in-laws. Fresh baked bread and they would make a frown when I asked for butter.
But then they would lap up all the olive oil with their bread at the end of their meal. My husband is becoming more Canadian though he does ladd extra olive oil to his pasta so he can lap it up at the end of his meal.

I do use unsalted - the only way to make shortbread cookies.

I'll have to see how expensive that flour is though - if it comes from the health food store.

We have a new grocery store in town that actually has an international section along with a gluten free section. I'll check there as well.