Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Nightwatch


Night sky over Norcia last night by my buddy, Emanuele Persiani. I commented: "WOW! Ho bisogno di guardare verso il cielo più spesso!" I should look up into the sky more often!

He replies, "soprattutto quando non c'è la luna!" Especially when there's no moon.

This neat moon-phase calendar says we're two days away from the dark-night. Just a little sliver left.

“I know that I am mortal by nature, and ephemeral; but when I trace at my pleasure the windings to and fro of the heavenly bodies I no longer touch the earth with my feet: I stand in the presence of Zeus himself and take my fill of ambrosia”
― Ptolemy, Almagest



~

2 comments:

tubbs said...

Thank you, Hilary, for both photo and Ptolemy quote.
I have quit observing all Federally mandated holidays; I stick to the liturgical calendar for my feast days, and both solar and lunar marks for other festive times.

Anonymous said...

I hope you were able to see the Perseids. I'm wondering if that shooting star in the photo might not be one of them, early in their season.

I live in Los Angeles and rarely have a chance to see the night sky; the first time my husband took me camping, up in Northern California, I couldn't stop looking at the stars.

Lorena B