Thursday, July 09, 2015

Laudes Divinae

So, both my appointments, for various reasons, got cancelled today and I now find myself with a free day. Having expected someone over, I have even done all the housework this morning before ten am. Not wanting to waste a windfall, I think today's the day I'll finally get around to a project that's been brewing.

Every Sunday, I've been attending the Solemn Vespers and Benediction at the Basilica, and the monks do a very nice Gregorian version of the Divine Praises which I'd like to sing along to. The trouble is that I've never learned it in Latin. So I think today as a bit of calligraphy practice, I'm going to make the card I keep thinking I should make.

Benedictus Deus.
Benedictum Nomen Sanctum eius.
Benedictus Jesus Christus, verus Deus et verus homo.
Benedictum Nomen Jesu.
Benedictum Cor eius sacratissimum.
Benedictus Sanguis eius pretiosissimus.
Benedictus Jesus in sanctissimo altaris Sacramento.
Benedictus Sanctus Spiritus, Paraclitus.
Benedicta excelsa Mater Dei, Maria sanctissima.
Benedicta sancta eius et immaculata Conceptio.
Benedicta eius gloriosa Assumptio.
Benedictum nomen Mariae, Virginis et Matris.
Benedictus sanctus Ioseph, eius castissimus Sponsus.
Benedictus Deus in Angelis suis, et in Sanctis suis.
Amen.

The tune, sung by the monks of Pluscarden, can be found here.



~

5 comments:

MargoB said...

Oh, my -- they're even more beautiful in Latin! I guess I shouldn't be surprised....being part linguist, I think pretty much everything looks and sounds better in Latin. Thank you, at any rate, for posting them, in Latin, here.

Pretty please, would you post a picture of your 'calligraphied' version, when you are done with it? :)

~ MargoB (Immaculate Heart of Mary parish, Michigan, USA)

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

Since I suck, no.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sue Sims said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.