Thursday, March 14, 2013

Beware the Ides of March. But don't worry, we'll stay away from the Forum.



It's my birthday tomorrow. I'll be wrestling with the inescapable fact that I am now closer to fifty than forty - and one more year closer to the last one - but no closer at all to figuring out what the hell I'm supposed to be doing, having any particular direction or figuring out the intrinsic meaning of it all.

Those who, perhaps, find themselves not in the best possible mood in the last day or so, would be welcome to join me for dinner and/or a drink or two.

I'm going to be celebrating (if we can call it that) on Saturday in Rome at a location to be announced. This way, those with scruples about such things can tell themselves that First Vespers of Sunday having passed they need not fret over failing in their Lenten observances.

Let me know in the commboxes or send me an email.



~

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're doing a fine job and we all appreciate you.

BillyHW said...

Oh Hilary, are you being a raincloud on a sunny day?

:)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

I think you might want to go see someone about that whole OCD thing you've got going. I hear they've got really good meds for it.

In the mean time, you can try to learn a few social skills. Maybe something about timing and good manners.

You can also remember that we don't allow anonymous posts here,

and the next time you want to use my space to tell me what to post, you can be assured my answer will always be the same. You may go kiss the zeitgeist's ass some place else.

Anonymous said...

Ok Hilary. I will go and kiss the zeitgeist's arse on the way to my doctor's appointment to address my chronic OCD.

I suppose it is rude to tell people what they can post on their own space. I won't try it again.

I simply enjoyed you blog and the Darby link seemed incongruous.

Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, best wishes, and it's such a wonderful thing that you're still with us after your cancer scare.

~bridget

John said...

What are you supposed to be doing? Damfino. And when it comes down to it, not terribly sure about me either. I thought it was going to be something completely different. Which is why for a long time I've loved this from Bl John Henry Newman:

"God has created me to do Him some definite service. He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another. I have my mission. I may never know it in this life, but I shall be told it in the next. I am a link in a chain, a bond of connection between persons. He has not created me for naught. I shall do good; I shall do His work. I shall be an angel of peace, a preacher of truth in my own place, while not intending it if I do but keep His commandments. Therefore, I will trust Him, whatever I am, I can never be thrown away. If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him, in perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him. If I am in sorrow, my sorrow may serve Him. He does nothing in vain. He knows what He is about. He may take away my friends. He may throw me among strangers. He may make me feel desolate, make my spirits sink, hide my future from me. Still, He knows what He is about."

Still, it would be nice to know now.

Cheers,

-John-

Teresa B. said...

I'll raise a toast or five to you on your Saturday night at around 3pm Orangeville time.
I didn't give stuff like that up - since I don't drink often anyway.
I haven't opened my Caramel Baileys from Christmas yet! :)