Monday, August 27, 2012

Arty "salon" for men

From the always-wonderful Underpaintings 'blog,


Titled, "l'Atelier" by Horace Vernet, 1822

All the contemporary paintings I've seen of the old classical ateliers make them look like a kind of gentlemen's clubhouse or a men's version of the ladies' salon. A lot more than just drawing and painting seemed to go on in them. Doubtless there was lots of interesting talk about art, politics, religion etc. Several of these people are smoking!

I wonder how much the infiltration of women into this masculine domain, that started in the 20th century, contributed to the collapse of the classical atelier tradition in art instruction.

For my part, it looks irresistably fun, interesting and attractive. If I had lived at that time, I'm sure I would have found the company at such a place above much more engaging than a dull, stuffy salon any day. (How many salons included spontaneous fencing?!) So I can understand why chicks wanted in. Women are boring. Men are fun.



~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you want in the club, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OkxvFmc9GI

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

Good grief! when did they colourise the Little Rascals?

Anonymous said...

I know, I know...but it was the only version I could find, Darla!

Anonymous said...

"Women are boring. Men are fun."

Unless they're Australian men - all they want to talk about is football and how much beer they can drink.

Zzzzz.

Lydia