Monday, February 13, 2012

Books to read about art

I'm working on The Book, and a huge part of it is researching the original sources of what we now refer to as Classical Realism (but was then just called "painting").

I've found a complete text online of Leon Battista Alberti's treatise Della Pittura, and as I said below am having a great time with it. It's leading into all sorts of other things that I want to know about.

This has led me to start developing a reading list of indispensable, as well as merely useful and interesting works, ancient and modern, on art and artists, aesthetics, natural philosophy, the Italian Renaissance and all that stuff.

I'll stick it up on the sidebar and add to it as we go along.

LBA treatise On Painting
Leonardo's "treatise" (really a compilation of his notes on painting)
Euclid, Elements
De Divina Proportione (Which seems to be available in reprints, but so far only in German)

No comments: