Saturday, August 14, 2010

Visit to England I

~


Went shopping in Chester, almost as my feet touched the ground. The charity shops are going to have to restock before I hit them again later this week. I feel like the Visigoths must have felt on arriving in Rome.


Auntie Gill at a tea shop on the first shopping day. All tuckered out and ready for a little sit-down.


Proper tea with scones and clotted cream, for €30 £5.


Uncle Mike, driving me to Crewe this morning to catch the train to Birmingham to go see an old friend who's staying at the B. Oratory.


Fr. Dan Utrecht in front of the sign that says that J.R.R. Tolkein lived in this house. Down the road a bit from the Oratory. He showed me the book he's working on about the Lion of Munster, Blessed Clemens August Graf von Galen, a Catholic hero of WWII who needs to be more famous in the English speaking world. Fr. Dan made me a fan.


Caught me with my eyes closed. And looking a little bedraggled after getting rained on. Ooooohhh. Lovely lovely English rain! How I have missed you so!


Sorry about the poor light, but this is the famous turn in the refectory at the Birmingham oratory into which the Tolkein brothers used to place the community cat, as well as each other occasionally.


St. Philip, whose fault it all is.


Newman's relics, in their chapel in the Oratory church.


More to come...



~

1 comment:

REAFFIRMATION & RENEWAL said...

Glad you enjoyed your visit! Sorry not to get to meet you. We're really enjoying having Fr Dan with us. Fr Richard.