Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Atheist Luuurve


"Atheists: feel the love"

Binky is ruminating on what happens when atheists take over governments.

He links to Pat Condell, whom I still like quite a lot and wouldn't object to having a beer with, who has, in is own terms, been "excommunicated" from the Atheist Church for having heretical beliefs about Muslims. I suppose I can't really claim dibs on the observation that atheism, being a belief in the non-existence of God, is as based on un-provable, spiritual ideas as theism. Is, in fact, a religion. And a particularly nasty one.

Not quite as nasty, yet, as the Religion of Pieces, but certainly as dedicated to shutting up all opposition.

Just this evening, I read a thing from an Australian newspaper, in which a group of radical feminists concerned citizens, wrote an open letter complaining that if Tony Abbott, a rather bland liberal Catholic, were to win the general election, he would - gasp - "impose" his wicked Catholic beliefs on the country.

Well, I guess the JFK solution hasn't stuck, has it.

Of course, there may have been a different letter offered to the press from Christians, (who, I might add, still make up the majority in Australia, as in most other Western countries) warning of the dire consequences of electing Julia Gillard, an avowed atheist and pro-abort feminist. But we'll never know, will we?

No voices were heard warning that a Gillard premiership will impose atheist beliefs on the country. But of course, not having been heard doesn't mean that no one tried.



~

9 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Hilary Jane!

The picture of that guillotine reminded me August 10 is the anniversary of the Jacobin coup of August 10, 1792, in which Louis XVI of France was overthrown. Truth to say, the Jacobins might have been crushed if the king hadn't ordered his Swiss Guards to cease fire and retire to their barracks. However well meant this pacific gesture of Louis XVI, it was fatal to him and diastrous to France.

And I'm not surprised atheists are whining and wailing about any kind of Catholic rising to high office! Esp. if Tony Abbott is actually a CONVINCED Catholic.

Sincerely, Sean M. Brooks

Brian Westley said...

Since Gillard currently is the Australian PM, and she hasn't broken out the guillotines, I guess you were just lying to defame atheists as a class of people.

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

Hey everybody, let's give Brian a big hand for grasping the fundamentals of political discussion...

Give yourself an "Atheists are cloth-heads" pin, Bri.

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

Sean,

not really very convinced, actually. He's pretty much a Cuomo Catholic.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Hilary Jane!

So, Tony Abbott is just another milquetoast Catholic? Disappointing, but not surprising. I get so tired of all these fake Catholics. And I admit I'm no better! I can and should be better!

Brian Westley: considering the evils and horros atheists have wreaked on the world under momsters like Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Castro, Pol Pot, et nauseating etc., I see no reason to consider Gillard's atheism a good selling point. I'm absolutely SICK of atheist liberals of EVERY kind.

Sincerely, Sean M. Brooks

Anonymous said...

Tony Abbott is genuine enough in his Faith, I believe, but like most of us is a sinner and his besetting sin is to act like a politician. But he is pro-life - he just hasn't done enough about it, arguably.

Anonymous said...

Chesterton noted that even when the gospel had been watered down it was still hot enough to boil the world to rags. That's what we see with Tony Abbott. He's genuine enough that many people in Oz are in a *real* panic that he'll become PM. I'm glad of that.

HJW said...

Ah yes, the "I'm pro-life but will never vote that way" politicians. Got lots o them around.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Louise!

I certainly hope Hilary Jane and I have been underrating Tony Abbott's strength of conviction as a Catholic. It would be GREAT if Australia came to have a Catholic PM as strongwilled as Maggie Thatcher was for the UK. She was, I think, a Methodist.

Sincerely, Sean M. Brooks