Thursday, November 26, 2009

A nicer one...

...and a great deal more like what I think Narnian music would be like.

Hans Memling (1435/40(?) - 1494)

Nice outfit.

I know from personal experience how hard it is to make one of those truncated cone henins stay on your head.

Once, a long time ago, I had a gorgeous black satin and black velvet parti-coloured dress a lot like this one, with crimson silk collar and cuffs. It made one sit bolt upright and reduced your ability to move to the point where you could barely reach the salt cellar at dinner. The four foot train made any dancing more vigorous than a sedate pavane impossible.

but it was gorgeous.

2 comments:

John said...

You know, just last week, someone asked me, "do you like Memling?"

In my ignorance I responded, "I don't know, I've never Memmled."

Foolish me.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps women should be allowed to sing in church choirs if they wore things like that?