Monday, October 19, 2009

Fun with Politics

Marching, for various causes, is a popular weekend activity in Italy.


This Saturday, on the way somewhere else, we happened to run into this demonstration from our friends on the left. I had a hard time resisting the sudden urge to start yelling, "Che รจ un assassino di massa!"

I heard one of the

Carabinieri tell a German tourist, "It's an anti-racism protest". I believe I have commented elswhere that in today's political climate, the terms "anti-racism" and "anti-fascism" are journalistic euphemisms for "Communist". I told the German tourist not to be fooled: "It's a pro-communist demonstration, as you will see."

What really annoyed me, though, was that the damn commies had buggered up traffic and we had to walk all the way from the Ange to Largo Argentina. Grrrr... bloody commies!

Another popular political hobby is postering. In most places, one sees political posters only during election times. Not so Italy. Any old slow news day is a good day for postering. Today's offering made me laugh:


It's a reference to Zapatero's little game of sticking two-fingers up to the Vatican every chance he gets. It says, "Human-Phobia. Human rights to apes; life denied to children. Zapatero Planet of the Apes." Pretty good, I thought.

1 comment:

BillyHW said...

Literally laughing out loud here. Brilliant.