Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Doom and gloom and the end of the world

Getting kind of gloomy around here.

Time for some happy.


Sunday before last, I decided to try something new. Well, new to me anyway. Went with a friend to the Russicum.


I don't know much about liturgy, to tell the truth.


Gave up all that worrying some time ago.


But I sure know what I like. (If you look very closely, you will see that on the chandelier what look like candles are actually politically correct EU twisty lightbulbs. Yep, the EU is everywhere, and watching you.)


Why did we ever think that switching to the polyester bathrobe look was a good idea? Were people just insane in the '60s?

I wish I could convey the thing that really lifts one out of the gloomy world of the here and now, which is the chant. Maybe next time I go I'll take along my digital voice recorder.

Plus,


the sunrise over the ancient hills of Etruria. 7 am from my teeny terrace.

Plus,



Italy: a great place for conviviality. Not so hot if you want to get anything practical done, but conviviality, we got in spades.

Plus,


What bread and butter pudding looks like when it comes out of the oven.
Mmmmmmm... English food.

Make it here.

No comments: