Thursday, February 07, 2008

Scotch Broth



When I was a kid, scotch broth was my favourite Campbell's soup. I never bothered to wonder why. I just ate it. It never crossed my mind that anyone would make scotch broth at home. Scotch broth comes from Campbells. You can't make it any other way.

Wrong.

I recently discovered what gives it that flavour: lamb.

Take

1 1/2 pounds of lamb neck (about four vertebrae)
three handsful of pearl barley
2 tsp salt
one onion, cut in half
8 cups water

boil together until the meat falls off the bones. Toss the onion.

Skim the fat.

separate the meat from the bones and add 1/2 pound diced lamb meat.
dice

1 leek
two carrots
half a sweet potato (non-traditional)

throw in the soup and bring to a simmer.

Season with
a handful of marjoram (also not traditional)
shot of ketchup
1 oxo cube

simmer together 1 hour.

It is like Campbell's only like the elvish version.

1 comment:

Mark S. Abeln said...

Oh!

That was also my favorite!

Yum!